Claymont. Three memorials stand as a tribute to war veterans from the area. The War Memorial is at the Knollwood entranceway. A memorial for the Gold Star Mothers and three flags – the United States, state of Delaware and POW/MIA – are at the intersection of Governor Printz Boulevard and Philadelphia Pike. A small memorial on Commonwealth Avenue in the middle of the island commemorates those from the area who were prisoners of war or listed as missing in action.
Wilmington. The Washington Street Memorial Bridge, dedicated to Delaware's war dead, was opened in Wilmington after rebuilding in 1920 and formally dedicated on Memorial Day 1922 as the Washington Memorial Bridge. On the bridge are plaques with the names of all of Delaware's dead from previous wars, and some of their battles. Eagles and pylons provide architectural emphasis. .
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial is across Baynard Boulevard at Washington and 18th Streets. It is topped by a Charles Parks statue of a soldier bearing the body of a comrade. It was dedicated in 1983.
The African-American Medal of Honor Statue at the same location pays homage to African-American soldiers in all wars. It has two statues both by Charles Parks and honors the 87 African Americans who are recipients of teh medal of Honor. The two statues represent a civil War soldier and a World War II parachutist.
The Todd Memorial also known as the The Victory Monument honors those who fought in World War I. It is a 35 foot granite sculpture paid for by the local shipbuilder with a figure of Winged Victory at the top. It is located at 18th Street and Baynard Boulevard.
The Churchman Memorial is located at 16th Street at the end of the Washington Street Bridge. A horse trough was dedicated in 1904 in memory of Lt. Clarke Churchman the only Delawarean killed in the Spanish American War. It has a basin for dogs and drinking fountain for people.
The Soldiers and Sailors Monument, at Delaware and Broom streets near Trolley Square, commemorates those who died in Civil War battles. The imposing column was purchased from a demolished Wilmington Bank and topped with an eagle throttling a serpent and dedicated in 1871. It was rededicated on Decoration Day in 1880.
The Sgt. James R. McCoy Sr. Park, at Sixth and Franklin streets, honors the first Delawarean killed in the first Gulf war. On December 23, 1921.
Memorial to Rear Admiral Samuel Francis DuPont in Rockford Park. Samuel Francis DuPont began his naval career in 1815 when, at the age of twelve, President James Madison appointed him a midshipman in the United States Navy. Promoted lieutenant in 1826, Commander in 1842, Captain in 1855, and newly created rank of Rear Admiral in 1862, he was among the leaders who organized the Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1845. Admiral DuPont distinguished himself during the Mexican War, commanding the Gulf of California blockade force. In 1861, President Lincoln declared a naval blockade of the southern states. Samuel DuPont chaired the committee laying out the blockade strategy and then took command, enforcing the blockade off South Carolina, Georgia, and the Atlantic Coast of Florida. To recognize Admiral DuPont's service, in 1862, Congress commissioned this statue - sculpted by renown artist Launt Thompson - and placed it in DuPont Circle in Washington, DC. The statue was re-erected in Rockford Park in 1920.
New Castle. Veterans Memorial Park and the Delaware Memorial Bridge, Cherry Lane, New Castle. The bridge honors veterans from Delaware and New Jersey who died fighting during World War II. The 50-acre park also pays tribute to veterans from the Korean and Vietnam wars and the first Persian Gulf war, recipients of the Military Order of the Purple Heart, the Submariners of WW II and the five service branches.
Memorial to Lt Col David F. McCallister at New Castle Air National Guard Base. A Dining facility with a plaque and a static display of Colonel McCallister's F-86H "CindeeLind 9th" is on display to honor this airman who lost his life in a plane crash in 1961.
Newport. The Frank Stern National Guard Armory memorializes this Delaware Air National Guardsman who lost his life in a plane crash in 1954.
Newark. Cooch’s Bridge, Old Baltimore Pike, near Newark. Cannons and a monument pay tribute to the soldiers who died in the only battle of the Revolutionary War that took place on Delaware soil. Another Revolutionary War monument stands on The Green in Dover.
University of Delaware, WWI Marker near Old College inscribed: 1917, 1918 In honor of the rural men of New Castle County who entered the military service of their country on this spot during the First World War. This tablet is erected by the University of Delaware and the Community of Newark."
University of Delaware, Memorial Hall, Book of the Dead The Memorial Book honors Delaware's World War I dead, which is displayed in a glass- covered case in the lobby of Memorial Hall. On each page is the name and biography of a Delawarean who lost his or her life while serving in the military during World War I. Memorial Hall (then Memorial Library) was conceived in 1918 at the end of World War I by UD trustee H. Rodney Sharp as a living monument to “the memory of the men and women in this state who took part in the war.” To emphasize that purpose, a book was compiled with each page containing the names and biographies of those Delawareans who died in “the World War.”
Newark Delaware marker at Academy Street and Main War Monument Dedicated to the men who gave their lives in the World Wars, Inscribed:
Ralph E. Adams Robert G. Allen James R. Anderson Harvey L. Baldwin George G. Barnett Philip A. Beaman Horace C. Brown William H. Dean Jr. Robert J. Donovan John Freuvre Woodrow W. Gravenor Charles W. Greer Jr. Thomas S. Ingham Jr. Roland P. Jackson William N. Jones Jr. Harold D. Kirk John W. O’Daniel Jr. Harry W. Pierce Frank Sanborn Harold N. Schaeffer Ralph R. Skillborn George R. Thorn Frank R. Thoroughgood O. James Walker Clarence E. Weible Ferris L. Wharton James R. Wilson Homer B. Wooleyhan
John E. Walker
Douglas D. Alley Francis B. Amoroso Charles R. Anderson Leonard A. Bird Richard A. Bowman Douglas D. Crowe Richard J. Currey Michael R. Dadisman Robert W. Dieffenbach Jr. Alan G. Geissinger Jon J. Hayden Laurence L. LaSalle Arthur C. Morris Jr. Robert S. Schettig Robert N. Tanus Earl R. Webb Jr. Robert E. Williams
Delaware Route 1, the Korean War Veteran's Memorial Highway
Delaware City. The memorial, a UH-1 "Huey" helicopter that seems to hover above the ground, pays tribute to Vietnam veterans. It is on Del. 9 about seven miles south of Delaware City.
Middletown. Nov. 11, 1919, Town leaders in Middletown dedicated a monument at Four Corners, or Cochran Square recalling four servicemen who died in World War I.
Dover. POW/MIA monument, Loockerman Street and Legislative Avenue, Dover.
Vietnam War Memorial listing 28 Kent County war dead, and at the same location in Veteran's Park the Gold Star Mother's Memorial honoring the mothers and families lost in the nations wars. Of granite, inscribed in Lincoln's words, "I pray that our heavenly father may assuage of your bereavement and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice on the alter of freedom." Dover Delaware
Korean War Veterans Memorial - Dover, Delaware Quick Description: Located in the memorial garden at the Air Mobility Command Museum 1301 Heritage Rd., Dover AFB, DE 19902-5301
Delaware veterans cemeteries. The New Castle County cemetery is at 2465 Chesapeake City Road, Summit. The 52-acre site is the final resting place for veterans of all wars since World War I. Fifteen markers represent the Delaware Medal of Honor recipients although only one, James P. Connor, is buried there. The 62-acre Sussex County Cemetery is at 26669 Patriots Way in Millsboro. A veteran of the Spanish-American War is buried there as well as servicemen from World War II, the Korean, Vietnam and Iraq wars.
Kiwanis Park, Seaford. The parks and recreation department unveiled a 10-foot-tall stone memorial in 1987 that lists the names of Seaford residents who died in World War I, World War II, Vietnam and Iraq. The park is on Stein Highway.
Korean War memorial, Georgetown Circle, Georgetown. The memorial, in the shape of the first state, sits in front of the town hall. The Vietnam Memorial is in front of the County Building. Both are dedicated to fallen veterans of Sussex County.
The World War II Memorial, Blades, is in the town park between East Sixth and East Seventh streets. The marble monument features the helmets of all the service branches with a family in the background.
May 12, 2007 A monument with 70 soldiers' and sailors' names who served in the Confederacy during the Civil War was dedicated on the grounds of the Nutter Marvil museum in Georgetown.
Out of State Monuments
March 5, 1850 Primarily through the efforts of John Jones, Sr., of Middletown, a War of 1812 veteran, Delaware's memorial stone was placed in the unfinished Washington Monument in the nation's capital.
Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn New York, Monument to Haslet's First Delaware Regiment, Battle of Long Island. "In this spot, they stood against the cream of the British army, one of the greatest armies in the world at that time," according to Timothy Slavin, Delaware's state archivist, standing before the granite monument, near the site of the Red Lion Inn, a landmark during the battle.
Guilford Courthouse Revolutionary War battle site, North Carolina DELAWARE AND MARYLAND MONUMENTS. Delaware and Maryland regiments made up the bulk of the Southern Continental Army at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse. The Delaware Monument marks the grave of three unknown American soldiers who fell on the battlefield. Their remains were discovered in 1888 and identified by coat buttons stamped "U.S.A." The Maryland Monument was erected by members of the Maryland Historical Society in memory of the soldiers of the Maryland line. Both monuments were dedicated in 1892.
On the road nearby, Cornwallis, during the climactic phase of the battle, ordered two cannon charged with grapeshot to be fired into the hand-to-hand fighting being waged in the vale below. This desperate measure killed a number of his own troops as well as Americans, but it was effective in breaking up the fighting.
Commodore Thomas MacDonough September 11, 1914 A monument was erected in Plattsburg, New York at Lake Champlain commemorating Odessa's Commodore Thomas MacDonough and his critical victory against the British in the War of 1812.
Delaware State Monument, Gettysburg Pennsylvania Inscription: DELAWARE AT GETTYSBURG The First and Second Delaware Infantry Regiments arrived on the battlefield early on July 2 and took positions in the Federal line along Cemetery Ridge. That day, both units distinguished themselves in fierce fighting. The First defended the Bliss Farm, and the Second helped to hold the Wheatfield against the Confederate attempt to turn the Federal left flank. On July 3, the two regiments played key roles in repulsing Lee's assault. They each lost nearly a quarter of their men at Gettysburg and were commended for distinguished service. Three soldiers received the Medal of Honor. One for heroism under fire and two for the capture of regimental colors. On July 5, The First and Second Delaware, with the Army of the Potomac, left Gettysburg in pursuit of Lee's army.
This memorial is dedicated to all Delawareans Who fought at Gettysburg both Union and Confederate
The State of Delaware monument is south of Gettysburg on Taneytown Road near the old Cyclorama building. (39.8161° N, 77.23247° W; see map) It was dedicated in 2000 by the State of Delaware.
The granite monument was designed by W. Barksdale Maynard. It holds a 5' x 6' bronze bas-relief depicting the 1st and 2nd Delaware counter-attcking Pickett's Charge that was created by sculptor Ron Tunison.
First Delaware Infantry monument, Gettysburg Pennsylvania Inscription: Position held by the First Delaware Volunteer Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 2nd Army Corps, July2, 1863. Erected by the State of Delaware to commemorate the gallantry of her sons A.D. 1885
2nd Delaware Infantry Regiment at Gettysburg
The monument to the Second Delaware Infantry Regiment at Gettysburg is on Brooke Avenue southeast of the Rose Farm. (39.79485° N, 77.2468° W; see map) It was dedicated in 1885.A marker showing the position of the regiment's skirmish line during Pickett's Charge is on Hancock Avenue southwest of the Brian Farm. (39.81499° N, 77.23546° W; see map) It was dedicated in 1886.The regiment was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel William P. Baily until he was wounded on July 2nd. Captain Charles H. Christman then took over.The 2nd Delaware brought 280 men to Gettysburg. Eleven men were killed, 61 wounded and 12 missing.
First Delaware Infantry Regiment at Antietam (Sharpsburg MD)
The monument to the First Delaware Infantry Regiment is located on the north Side of Bloody Lane. It was dedicated on May 26, 1962.
The regiment suffered heavily in what was its first battle. In three hours of fighting, Colonel John W. Andrews, Lt. Colonel Oliver Hopkinson, and all but two company commanders became casualties, along with almost one third of the men.
Second Lieutenant Charles B. Tanner was awarded the Medal of Honor for rescuing the regimental colors, which had fallen within twenty yards of Confederate lines at the Sunken Road, in spite of being three times wounded during the attempt.
From the monument:
1st Delaware Volunteers Colonel John W. Andrews 3rd Brigade 3rd Division II Corps
On the morning of September 17, 1862 this regiment crossed Antietam Creek forming right of first line of French's Division. Advanced with heavy skirmishing through Roulette Farm and became fiercely engaged immediately, in front of Sunken Road. Withdrew to stronger position 100 yards north of here. 8 of 10 Company Commanders and entire color-guard killed or wounded.
Losses Officers Men Killed 3 26 Wounded 10 172 Missing 2 Total 230 of 708 engaged
Erected by the Delaware Civil War Centennial Commission May 26, 1964
Second Delaware Infantry Regiment at Antietam (Sharpsburg MD)
The monument to the Second Delaware Infantry Regiment at Antietam is on the north side of the Sunken Road (Bloody Lane), off Richrdson Avenue. (see map) It was dedicated on May 10, 1964.
From the monument:
DELAWARE 2nd Delaware Volunteers Capt. David L. Stricker 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, II Corps
This regiment of Richardson's reserve brigade crossed Antietam Creek. Advanced with division and came under heavy artillery fire while holding position immediately beyond crest of the ridge. It moved to right and helped repulse counterattack in gap between French and Richardson's divisions. In final assault on Bloody Lane, the regiment crossed here and took possession of Piper Farm buildings until ordered to retire.
Losses Officers Men Killed 12 Wounded 2 42 Missing 2 Total 58
Erected by Delaware Civil War Centennial Commission May 10, 1964
Third Delaware Infantry Regiment at Antietam (Sharpsburg MD)
The monument to the Third Delaware Infantry Regiment at Antietam is the West Woods in the Philadelphia Brigade Park. It was dedicated on May 30, 1964
The 3d Delaware was commanded at the Battle of Antietam by Colonel Arthur Maginnis. He was wounded, and Captain William J. McKaig took over. The regiment had suffered heavily at the Second Battle of Bull Run two weeks prior to Antietam, and brought only 125 men to the field.
From the monument:
Delaware 3rd Delaware Volunteers Major Arthur Maginnis 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, XII Corps
This regiment, worn down from active service in the second Manassas Campaign, went into action Sept. 17, 1862 with only five officers and 120 men. It started out on the right of the Union line in front of the West Woods. After heavy action along the Hagerstown Pike, it helped repulse Confederate counter attack following rout of Sedgewick's Division. Final position of the regiment, 65 yards North of this point.
Losses Officers Men Killed 1 5 Wounded 2 9 Total 17 of 125 engaged
Erected by the Delaware Civil War Centennial Commission May 30, 1964
Sources: Roman Alexander, director of Parks and Recreation, city of Wilmington; Scott Coleborn, Seaford Parks Department; Tony Davila; Estelle Tucker and J.J. Jones, Delaware Veterans Cemeteries; Lou Walls, quartermaster of VFW Post 5447; Julie Chelton; Robert Stickles; Gary Morris, chairman of the Delaware Commission of Veterans Affairs